Butler Group's master class was better than I hoped for. Tim Jennings and Martin Butler gave some interesting presentations on IT value, measurement of value and in general what is wrong with our industry - too much focus on cost, with no clear measureable value.
The content was similar to a discussion group I had a Foo camp last year.
Take home messages were
1. No correlation between IT spending and business value.
2. No correlation between IT spending and cost reduction.
3. Strong correlation between knowledge capital and business value.
4. IT in general is focusing on cost and automation, where it should be focusing on knowledge capital.
5. Big gap between Executive and IT in general.
6. In general there are no clear measurement of business value in IT projects.
7. Difference between Competitive advantage, Cost of doing business and Transition of projects.
8. Focus should be on worth first (or as I would say what's important to users).
and much more. Overall great.
Today the duck count was up to 8.